Five Valentine’s Day Treats that are Healthy AND Delicious!
Wednesday February 5, 2020
Happy Valentine’s Day! Much like the holidays, this special day is as sugar coated as it is fun. Everything from boxes of chocolates, to sweet treats exchanged at school – sugar is everywhere! Need a way to cut sugar and have some delicious alternatives? We’ve got some healthy treats that are sure to make your Valentine smile, without giving them a cavity.
Baked Apple Chips
This simple treat is so easy, even little hands can help!
- 2-3 sweet apples like Gala or Honey Crisp
- small heart cookie cutter
- Slice across the apple, making 1/8 inch thick slices
- Using a small heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out the center core of the slice
- Place on a baking sheet and lightly sprinkle with cinnamon
- Bake at 225 degrees for 45 minutes
Chocolate Filled Raspberries
Another easy one for little hands to help with – and perfect for working on fine motor skills!
- fresh raspberries, 1 pint
- dark chocolate chips or chocolate spread (not syrup)
- Take an individual raspberry and place one small chocolate chip inside
- And you’re done!
- An alternative would be to use a chocolate spread (such as Nutella). Fill a sandwich bag with chocolate spread and push to a bottom corner. Snip off the corner with scissors and use it to fill the raspberries.
- These can be eaten at room temperature, or frozen for a chewy treat
Valentine’s Chocolate Fondue
There are two sure fire ways to get kids to try something new; cut it into shapes or give them something to dip in. This fondue covers both and your Valentine is sure to love it:
- Fruit slices. Fruit that works well are pineapple, apples and melon. Strawberries are also great – just cut a small “v” shape into the top and slice vertically.
- Chocolate chips OR chocolate syrup
- Using a small heart shaped cookie cutter, cut fruit into shapes.
- Make chocolate dip by melting chocolate chips in the microwave. Or use a chocolate syrup for a quick fix.
- Let your kids dip and munch to their HEART’S content!
Fro Yo Smoothie Bites
These yummy little bites are perfect for an after school snack or on-the-go breakfast.
- 10 ozs vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 banana
- 10(ish) strawberries
- Drizzle of honey and splash of milk
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Add honey and milk to taste and as needed to blend.
- Pour mixture into heart shaped ice cube trays and freeze for at least 2 hours or until firm.
I HEART Veggies! Tray
Just like the heart shaped veggies, this delicious veggie tray will get your kids taste buds curious! Using the same heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out hearts from cucumbers, zucchini, squash slices, or sweet potatoes. Slice grape tomatoes in half width wise at a slight angle. Turn one side of the slice to create a heart and hold together with a toothpick. Add in a delicious herb dip or try this yummy cheese dip.
Want some more fun and delicious Valentine’s Day fun? Click over to our blog for more ideas.